When a Plugable Silicon Motion device is not working as expected with a Windows system, the best practice is to disconnect the device from the host system (and remove it's external power source, if it has one) and perform a manual installation of the latest version we recommend of the required Silicon Motion software driver to help ensure both are in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Disconnect the Plugable Silicon Motion USB docking station or video adapter from the host system. If the product you are using has an external power adapter (for example a USB docking station), please also disconnect the power adapter from the product so that the unit resets. Please keep everything disconnected until prompted
- Uninstall any and all software with 'Silicon Motion' in the title that is present from within the Control Panel > Programs and Features (Apps and Features in Windows 10). If an entry is not listed in the Programs and Features application, the driver was likely installed automatically by Windows Update. Please then move on to the next step of installing the latest recommended driver
- Once the uninstallation has completed running, restart the host system (even if not prompted to)
- Download and install the latest version (that we recommend) of the Silicon Motion software driver
- If you disconnected the power adapter from your product in step one, please reconnect it so the device powers on, then reconnect the product to the host system. If the product is still not working as expected, please restart the host system one more time.
If, after having completed this process, your Plugable Silicon Motion device is still not working as expected, please reach out to us directly via email@example.com with the output of our PlugDebug diagnostic utility and we will be happy to help